Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Matisyahu and the Klezmatics nominated for 2007 Grammy Awards


Both Matisyahu and the Klezmatics have been nominated for Grammy awards this year. Not, of course, in Jewish music category. There isn't one. And not in the one of the FIVE Gospel categories (which is fine with me. I'm just grumpy). The Klezmatics album "Wonder Wheel" has been nominated in the World Music category, along with albums by Richard Bono, Salif Kieta, Ladyship Black Mambazo, and Ali Farka Toure. Matisyahu's album "Youth" has been nominated in the Reggae category, along with albums by Buju Banton, Ziggy Marley, Sly and Robbie, and UB40. All worthy musicians (my wife has a non-so-secret fondness for UB40 dating back to her college days).



CBS is hosting the award ceremony this year. As far as I can tell, they haven't announced which awards will be announced live on-air, and which will have been announced pre-show and then reported on during the show. My guess is that both will be off air announcements, but I'll probably watch anyway. It would make my month to see either group get to accept their award (should they win) on national television.

No comments: