Thursday, March 6, 2008

B'nai Or sings Lecha Dodi

Hi folks. It's not quite Friday yet but I won't be near a computer tomorrow and wanted to get my pre-Shabbat liturgical song posted. I know I've posted video's of Lecha Dodi before, but I keep running across interesting ones. This one comes from B'nai Or in Pueblo, Co.

I'm pretty taken withit. First, I've never heard this melody before and I thought I'd heard 'em all. Second, there's this almost Adam's Family baritone lurch to the first section of the melody that makes me both chuckle and want to join right in. The musical accompaniment won't fly at my synagogue, but I bet I can get folks to try out the melody. This should be fun...

Lecha Dodi

According to Gershon ben Yochanan v'Franja, the poster of the video, the B'nai Or community is currently recording a 14 song CD. Gershon wants everyone to know that "Although the CD is good and expresses tremendous musical talent, it's much better in person as the Kavannah is always very high. The walls literally sing and the siddurs literally dance in our hands. Streaming tears are common for newcomers, so bring the tissues. But our real goal is tremendous simchah for everyone. Soul ascents are common for those on that level."

If you're in the area, it is best to contact them at 719-250-3126 to get the service times. Generally they are Saturday at 9:00, but one week a month they do Kabbalat Shabbat at 5:30 on Friday night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Can't wait to hear more from the B'nai Or CD.

davidandgraceolinger said...

Did B'nai Or ever release their 14 track CD? and if so, how would a person get a hold of it? I found a recording of Mi Kamocha of theirs on youtube and really like the melody.

Jack said...

David... I don't think so. It seems that B'nai Or has closed it's doors. I'll see if I can dig up some more information.