Monday, August 31, 2009

Eprhyme's "Punklezmerap"

There's been a lot of activity in Jewish hip-hop lately, with new talent popping up regularly. The most recent album to drop is Ephrymes "WayWordWonderWill" on Modular Moods / Shemspeed (also available through iTunes). I'm passing this video along to help announce the album, but honestly I don't care for it much. Eprhyme's got a good patter, but the song is pretty flat and uninteresting. And the production is truly weird. It makes a big show of layering in some klezmer samples, but Ephryme's vocals don't connect with it at all. I feels like I'm listening to two unrelated songs at the same time. Weird.

What do you think? Go check out Ephryme's MySpace page to hear a few of his other tracks. I like Shomer Saalam a bit better, but I'm not blown away.

EPRHYME - "PUNKLEZMERAP" (Official Music Video)

2 comments:

heebnvegan said...

His live performance of this song was a force to be reckoned with!

Jack said...

That's great to hear. I think it's just weird production (or maybe I'm getting weird in the head).