Monday, March 28, 2011

Yosef Karduner Live in NY

I've been feeling guilty that I haven't featured any new Chassidic recordings lately, but nothing had caught my attention. Yosef Karduner to the rescue. Karduner is an Israeli Breslov Chassid and a long time favorite of mine. His Shir Ha'amalot has become standard repertoire across the Jewish world for good reason. He's got a wonderful voice, simple and just raw enough. I'll admit that as much as I love Karduner I haven't bought any of his previous albums. Each had, to my ears, an over-produced quality that distracted from the essence of his simple presentations. The new album, "Kumzitz - Live in NY" is the album that I've been waiting for. It's easy to close my eyes and imagine myself singing along at a Breslov kumzitz. (Which I've never been to...invitations anyone?).

For more info on Karduner, check out his interview with Ben Bresky of Israel National Radio recently. The album is available through Mostly Music and CD Baby (download only).

No comments: