Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Driving Mr. Brandwein

I love it when I run into a local (to the North Coast) band playing Jewish music. Today's find is DJ Paradiddle, of the "salsa, klezmer, rock, Motown, samba, TLC" band, Groove Spoon. The track that caught my attention is "Yale", DJ Paradiddle's remix of Naftule Brandwein's "Terkishe Yale V'Yove Tantz." It's a fun remix, layering Brandwein's clarinet over a contemporary base groove with some guitar squawk leading up to car crash ending. While it feels like a freshman release, a bit over-reliant on the original sample for both tone and tempo, I've listened to it a dozen times today and am still digging it. I'm looking forward to what comes out of DJ Paradiddle next.

Hopefully I'll get to see him live soon. As I mentioned he's a local guy, at least during the school year. He and Groove Spoon play at a local Ann Arbor, MI, restaurant, The Heidelberg, once a month. The next one will be on April 28th, 2008, though he's also playing at the Michigan Theater on April 11.

DJ Paradiddle's "Yale"

No comments: