Thursday, April 5, 2007

Jewish eMusic

I know I've mentioned this before, but my biggest source of Jewish music these days is eMusic. eMusic is an online music store that is subscription based and caters to the independent music crowd. I got turned on to getting Jewish music from eMusic by the SomethingJewish Show's Caroline Westbrook. That's where she gets a lot the music for SJ show.

It really is a gold mine. They have an amazing range of albums from old Folkways field recordings to contemporary klezmer, cantorial, classical and jazz. They have all the Tzadik Radical Jewish Culture recordings and the Reboot Stereophonic recordings. The main thing they don't have is much of the contemporary Chassidic music scene. Not sure why.

I've got a monthly subscription good for downloading about 7 albums for a very reasonable price and am pretty sad when I use them up. Some of the recent recording's I've picked up include Frank London's "Scientist At Work," J.U.F.'s "Gogol Bordello vs. Tamir Muskat", David Chevan's "Days of Awe", and Leonard Bernstein's "Symphony No 1 / Concerto for Orchestra." Just to name a few.

I don't normally shill for companies, but there a small handful that are really useful. I think eMusic is one of them. I'm absolutely hooked on the service. Here's a banner with their current deal:



Get 25 FREE MP3s!



No comments: