Friday, December 4, 2009

Anim Zimros, Breslov Niggun

Hi Folks,

Shabbat shalom. I've had a long week couple of week. I was in upstate NY yesterday on a work trip, then got up at 4am this morning finishing up some work. Also got grumpy at my daughter for no really good reason. sigh. Hopefully the candy buttons I bought her, along with a good hug, will make up for it.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to shabbat. Here's a good 'get in the shabbat groove video. According to the YouTube notes, it's Yisroel Gottlieb singing an old Breslov niggunim for Anim Zmiriot. I really love niggunim and could listen to them all day. I really need to find some better recordings than I have, though. I keep finding accompanied choral arrangements. What I really want is disks of niggunim like this. A few voices, unaccompanied. I'd like to finding them for as many of the Chassidic groups as I can. Sounds like yet another project...

Anim Zimros, old Breslov Niggun


For another take on Anim Zimros, check out this jazz performance by Jeremy Siskind, Miles Brown, Yonatan Rosen at the Knitting Factory in NYC. I could get lost in this too, though maybe not all day.

Anim Zmiros - Knitting Factory


Update: I've gotten a couple of great recommendations for Niggunim albums. My friend Binyomin Ginzberg, of JewishMusician.com and the Breslov Bar Band, suggested "The Hasidic Niggun as Sung by the Hasidim", which is a set of field recordings put out by The Jewish Music Research Centre in 2004. Avishai suggested Yehuda Solomon's Beyond Words albums. They are available from JewishJukebox.com and Mostly Music. All of the web sites have clips. Check 'em out.

Hat tip to YouTubeUsers GotToBeNanach for the Breslov version and Seinav for the jazz version.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shavuah tov! Had to ask. And with fingers crossed, mind you. Okay, now, here it is...

Will there be a Chanukah show this year. We enjoyed last year's that much.

Rich

Avishai said...

Yehuda Solomon has 3 albums entitled Beyond Words = they're my go-to for those niggunim days...

(also, been following your blog for a while - keep up the awesome job!)

Jack said...

Thanks for the question about the Chanukah show. I'd love to do another one, but I don't think it will happen this year. But I will definitely be getting the podcast going again soon.

Jack said...

Hey Avishai, thanks for the feedback. I just checked them out on JewishJukebox and they sound great. I was also pointed to the field recording "The Hasidic Niggun as Sung by the Hassidim" which was put out in 2004 as by the Jewish Music Research Centre. Looks like I've got some more music to buy.