Thursday, February 22, 2007

Davka & Kitka

I got hooked on Davka a couple of years ago. Their brand of klezmer and Sephardic chamber music has a healthy (but not overpowering) jazz and avante-garde sensibility that really works for me. I find their Tzadik albums (particularly Judith) sneaking back into heavy rotation every couple of months.

I had one of my usual "to late or to far away" moments this week when I found out that Davka teamed up with Kitka to do a series of concerts that would be televised on PBS. Kitka is a female vocal ensemble specializing in "music rooted in Eastern European women's vocal traditions." I don't know much about them other than that, but will have to check them out. The PBS show was scheduled to be aired in December. You can check out this broadcast date listing to find out if your local station played it. If you missed it (like I did) you can call the station and bug them about repeating it. Or you can buy the DVD.

Here's the concert trailer:

No comments: