Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Verfremdungsklezmer! Daniel Kahn and the Painted Bird

I love big joyful noise. And I mean noise, squawnky, grindy, heartbreaking and uplifting noise. And I found a great source recently: Daniel Kahn. Kahn is a native Michiganian who's lived in New Orleans, New York, and now Berlin picking up a range of musical styles and influences. Kahn describes his latest project "Painted Bird" as Verfremdungsklezmer "Punk Cabaret + Radical Yiddish Song + Gothic American Folk + Klezmer Danse Macabre." This is my kind of noise. Painted Bird is available through Chasma Records, a "collective of independent musicians based out of Europe and the US ... specializ[ing] in the music of these very related cultures...Eastern European, Klezmer, Yiddish, Gypsy Jazz and Balkan." I have a feeling I'll be picking up a bunch of Chasma recordings in the near future.

Here's the Daniel Kahn YouTube video that got my attention, but don't stop with this one. YouTube's got a bunch.

No comments: