Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rabbi Joe Black at Detroit's JCC Stephen Gottlieb Music Fest

Yesterday I kvetched a bit about JCC Stephen Gottlieb Music Fest headliner Hal Linden. Should be a great show, but not my thing. That's ok. The fest has a number of other shows that I'm a lot more excited about. Number one on the list is Rabbi Joe Black, who'll be playing on Sunday March 14 at 2pm at the JCC in West Bloomfield, MI.

Here's the official blurb...
"One of the most popular and in-demand contemporary Jewish musicians in America, returns to Detroit for this family concert! With children, he is energetic, surprising and dynamic. With adults, his superb musicianship, powerful songwriting and sense of spiritual awareness creates an opportunity for the head and the heart to come together. A Rabbi Joe Black performance is not to be missed! The Matzah Factory event immediately follows the concert (3-5 p.m.)"
And here's a fun video of RJB playing with the Maxwell Street Klezmer band a year or three ago.

Eight Nights Of Joy - Rabbi Joe Black and Maxwell Street Klezmer Band


This is about as happy clappy, kid-friendly a contemporary songleader style show as I could ask for. Which is great, considering the pair of little wigglers I plan on taking to the show. And I, myself, have never been to a real Jewish songleader style show either. It should be great fun and educational. The whole 'songleader' approach to Jewish music is something I'm rather new to. It comes, largely, out of the Reform Jewish camp movement (see Cantor Wally's "The Music of Reform Youth" for first cut on the evolution of songleader style) and the folk music revival of the 1950s and 1960's. Lots of strummy melodies and singalongs. Should be lots of fun.

By the way...I think I'm ushering at the show. If you come, make sure you say howdy.

No comments: