Thursday, November 1, 2007

Say Anything - Alive With The Glory Of Love

Christian religious symbology invades and pervades everything in America. And this isn't a bad thing. It's just point of fact. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a work of art or listened to a piece of music that fills me with it's beauty and at the same time leaves me hollow because of its Christian core.

And each time I would wonder where the Jewish equivalent was.

I think I just watched one ... Say Anything's video for "Alive with the Glory of Love." While it immediately recalls U2's uber-passionate and uber-Christian "Pride (In the Name of Love)", it rejects U2's anthem declarations for an emo anguish and memory. Instead of Bono's crescendo chorus of "One man in the name of love", Max Bemis repeats "Treblinka, alive with the glory of love." But, like Bono draws strength from the martyrdom of his heroes, Bemis draws strength from the power of small individuals to love, remember, and stay faithful to each other. And I drew a little strength just from listening. Thanks Max.

Say Anything - Alive With The Glory Of Love (Official Vid)



It's funny how I found this video. I wrote a short piece on Jewish emo music last week. Today I wrote about Max Bemis (of Say Anything) being selected to be in the Heeb 100. 10 minutes after making that second post, Mordy Shinefeld left a comment on the emo post suggesting I check out Say Anything. So thanks Mordy. This track is fabulous. I'm going to have to grab a copy of the album ASAP.

No comments: