Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hanukkah Day 8: "Ner Li, Ner Li"

I'm going to close out this week with another lovely, but lessor known Hanukkah song "Ner Li, Ner Li (I have a candle)." I've only heard a few recorded versions of this one and have never heard it sung, which is a shame. It's got a simple melody well suited to family gatherings. Here are the lyrics (courtesy of GreatJewishMusic.com)


Ner li, ner li, ner li dakik
BaHanukkah neri ad'lik
BaHanukkah neri ya'ir
BaHanukkah sirim ashir
BaHanukkah neri ya'ir
BaHanukkah sirim ashir
I have a candle, a petite candle
On Hanukkah I shall light my candle
On Hanukkah my candle will give light
On Hanukkah, I shall sing songs
On Hanukkah my candle will give light
On Hanukkah, I shall sing songs


I'm going to showcase two different versions of it. First, doing a not so simple rendition, the Israeli musician Yair Gedasi.



Second, a simpler, more home singable, version. This version is embedded in an interesting animated video put together by someone named Leah who unfortunately wasn't able to credit the musician who's version of Ner Li she used. Does anyone recognize this fellows voice?



Personally, I'm most fond of the Cindy Paley recording from her "Chanukkah, a Signing Celebration" album.

Hat tip to YouTube user SimTales for posting the animated video.

No comments: