Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yahrtzeit for Grandpa Ted / Shir Ha Maalot

Tonight is the Yahrtzeit for my grandfather Ted Pollans. I'll be lighting a candle for him tonight. It will be the first time I've done that. I'm not sure why this year, other than I'm missing him a lot lately. Every time I stand at the sink doing the dishes after a dinner party while my wife chats with our guests I think of how similar we are. That was always his tradition. Grandma Hubey worked all afternoon preparing supper for her guests, while Grandpa entertained. Once dinner was over, he took to the dishes so Grandma could catch up and swap family gossip. Grandpa loved music, too, though his taste in music ran more toward Frank Sinatra than the David Chevan or Hasidic New Wave.

It's tradition to recite a Psalm when you light the Yahrtzeit candle, and I'll do that at sundown. For now, here's Yosef Karduner singing Shir Lama'alot from Psalm 121, A song of ascents.

Yosef Karduner: Shir Lama'alot


And in memory of Grandpa Ted, here's his beloved Frank Sinatra singing the Sammy Cahn (Jewish, natch) and Jimmy Van Heusen "Come Fly With Me".

Frank Sinatra - Come Fly With Me

No comments: