Thursday, February 5, 2009

Klezphonics - Klezmer from the Land of Coffe Milk

I'm from Connecticut originally and nothing get's me more excited than Jewish music happening anywhere in that stretch between New York and Boston that we used to (mostly) lovingly refer to as "the nowhere in the middle of somewhere." Rhode Island and almost all of Massachusetts west of Worcester qualifies, too. I used to spend a lot of time in Rhode Island when I was in college driving to Providence on weekends for concerts at the Living Room.

That's why I was laughing for hours at the line in the Klezphonics rewrite of the classic Jewish music song Romania...
On every corner, a Dunkin’ Donuts is sighted/Where every government official’s indicted.
Oh Little Rhody is so small, a 15-minute drive’s a haul/The highway system is a fright, with crazy curves and a big termite.
Ok. I don't get the termite part and they didn't mention Coffee Milk. But the rest matches my memories of Rhode Island perfectly. I got turned on to the Klezphonics last week when band clarinetist Marc Adler sent me a link to an article by Jim McGraw in the Barrington Times (available on line at the EastBayRI.com website). I enjoyed the article and the accompanying video (see below). The Klezphonics, who are "big on the library and nursing home circuit," have a nice sound and seem to be having a lot of fun adding a little Yiddishkeit to the Ocean State. I hope I have a chance to catch a show next time I'm back east.

UPDATE: Amy from the Klezphonics just emailed me to remind me (how could I have forgotten) about the world's biggest termite. According to Amy, "Visible from Rt. 95, south of downtown Providence, just past the infamous Thurbers Ave. curve, sits an extermination company, atop of which resides an enormous termite statue. In December, the termite is adorned with Christmas lights and a red nose ala Rudolph. This statue is as famous in RI as the Independent Man on the State Capitol. "

The Klezphonics

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visible from Rt. 95, south of downtown Providence, just past the infamous Thurbers Ave. curve, sits an extermination company, atop of which resides an enormous termite statue. In December, the termite is adorned with Christmas lights and a red nose ala Rudolph. This statue is as famous in RI as the Independent Man on the State Capitol.

Alan aka Avrum ben Avrum said...

A very interesting site. I'll be back.

Alan d. Busch
Www.authorsden.com/alandbusch1

I can be reached at alandbusch@aol.com