Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Searching for a Sephardic choral recording

In my last post I proudly proclaimed my victory at tracking down Ari Kunstler's "Eyes on Jerusalem." Yay me. But sadly, I'm only batting .50 lately. I am currently failing to find a Sephardic choral recording that another Teruah reader is looking for. She described it as being a Sephardic choral piece, conducted by Sir Neville Mariner and performed by the Academy of St.Martin in the Fields chorus. She only heard it once, years ago on the radio, and has been looking for it ever since. The best I was able to come up with was the 2003 Naxos recording of Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco's "Naomi & Ruth and Sacred Service for Shabbat Eve" for the Milken Archive of American Jewish Music.

Good guess, it was wrong. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If she heard it on the radio, it's possible it was a live broadcast and not a recording.

Not Sephardic, but Thomas Beveridge's Yizkor Requiem? It juxaposes Jewish and Catholic liturgy and was conducted by Marriner.

Is she sure it's Sephardic? That could be a red herring.

Jack said...

I hadn't considered the live broadcast possibility. I'll look into that. Thanks!

As for it not being Sephardic, it's certainly a possibility but that is her recollection. Not that Marriner has many non-Sephardic Jewish recordings. I've suggested she listen to Beveridge's Yizkor, but I'm doubtful. To her ears the track sounded very medieval. To my ears at least, Beveridge's doesn't. But I haven't heard back, it could be.

The other thing I worry about is that the radio broadcast may have played multiple tracks by multiple groups and either she or the DJ may have confused the Marriner piece for another piece. She is very confident that it's Marriner though, so that's how I'm currently focusing.