Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Sound of Sacred Time

Earlier this week I posted about Cantor Andrew Bernard's article on the Kaddish. His bio had an intriguing note about his book, The Sound of Sacred Time: A basic music theory textbook to teach the Jewish prayer modes. I emailed him about and found that the book is self-published (contact him (704) 366-1948 x3042 or email me and I'll give you his email address.) Here is his table of contents and the first bit of a sample chapter. It looks very interesting.
Table of Contents

Magein Avot chapter sectionIf your interested, email me and I can send you the .pdf files of the table of contents and sample chapter sections.

5 comments:

Diamond Maaven said...

Hi
I am trying to study through the basic three cantorial modes. I am using the Davidson book "IMUNIM BE-NUSACH". That book is not so user friendly if you are not a "MUSIC MAJORE". I was wondering to hear your opinion about the Bernard's book.
I can mannage with music notes on the piano, but far from a concert level.
Where is the book available?
Thank you
Moshe

Jack said...

Hi Moshe, as far as I'm aware the book is only available directly from Cantor Bernard. I have his contact information if you want it. Email me at jackzero@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

I haven't seen the book and am not a student of cantorial modes, I can't comment on how user friendly the book would be. But I'm sure Cantor Bernard would answer your questions.

By the way, are you familiar with the virtualcantor.com website? It has a large collection of recordings of traditional nusach.

Diamond Maaven said...

Hi Jack,
Thank you for your kind advice.
Moshe

YouTube Downloader said...

Hello,
It was very interesting to read this article and to look through these notes. I'm a newbie in this sphere but I'll do my best to become a real pro:)

converting avi to mov mac said...

Yes, Jack, the book is only available directly from Cantor Bernard.