Tuesday, November 11, 2008

John Belushi & Romania, Romania

Ok, this bit is priceless if you're old enough to have watched Saturday Night Live in the 70's and early 80's. It's mostly about John Belushi teasing his fellow SNL actors, but wait for the punchline....


Don't Look Back in Anger

Watch more Saturday Night Live videos on AOL Video



You watched the video already, right? Ok. The song at the end is the classic Yiddish show tune, "Romania, Romania" which has been recorded by just about everyone. The song was written by Aaron Lebedeff and was first recorded in 1925. I'm not sure who's version is used in the video (any guesses anyone?), but you can hear Aaron Lebedeff sing it at Amazon.

Update: Richard Kamins, of the N'Shoma radio show in Connecticut, thinks the recording is Aaron Lebedeff's version with the Shalom Secunda Orchestra from the 1991 compilation titled "Shalom-Music of the Jewish People", released on Fanfare/Pro Arte Digital. Thanks Richard!

Hat tip to Susan for point me to this one. Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I "ran" to see the clip but unfortunately it is " not available in my area"!
No matter. I saw it on a special for Saturday Nite Live or not ready for prime time players and recorded it- unfortunately with the Special's credits running. For me it had a very special meaning because my brother was a big fan of SNL and has passed away.
Dance as long as you're alive.
Thank-you anyway for the effort.

Jack said...

I'm glad it had special meaning and I'm sorry it didn't play for you. What 'area' are you in? I wonder if it's setup to only play within the US?

Unknown said...

That message has appeared many times before on my computer here in Israel! :)
My brother was a big fan of John Belushi and saw all of his movies. He must have gone nuts with joy when Belushi did this skit. He was also a walking music encyclopedia and performer of his own music and songs and music written by others. I vaguely remember him mentioning the skit and mentioning the singer. I believe it is the same singer but rerecorded when he was much older (at the Amazon site). Just a guess.

Anonymous said...

For some reason the name Moyshe Gevirtig came to mind. I have almost zilch knowledge of Yiddish music but probably more than the average Jew. :)

Anonymous said...

Jack,
I believe that is Aaron Lebedeff's version with the Shalom Secunda Orchestra - It's on 1991 compilation titled "Shalom-Music of the Jewish People", released on Fanfare/Pro Arte Digital.

The blog looks great!