Thursday, January 11, 2007

Getting this blog started

So, I love Jewish music. Obsessed really.

I'm a Conservative Jew in Michigan, living in a very Christian farm town. I'm not as frum as I'd like to be, but I do ok. Listening to Jewish music helps me stay connected on a day to day basis with being part of a larger Jewish community.

And, it's fabulous music. Well, lots of it is. There's a lot of crap out there too.

I'm not an expert in anything, but I run across a lot of interesting bands, events, musical styles, blogs, catalogs, webpages, podcasts, and odd bits that I thought it would fun to share them and hopefully get to know other folks with similar interests. Since Jewish music is both a spiritual and a secular thing, I expect both sentiments to show up in my posts.

Why the name Teruah... Teruah is the a call on the shofar on Rosh Hashanna, "a wailing sound, a sound broken into many parts"

Rav Abbahu said, "Why do we blow a ram’s horn? The Holy One, Blessed Be He, said: ‘Sound before Me a ram’s horn so that I may remember on your behalf the binding of Isaac the son of Avraham, and account it to you as if you had bound yourselves before Me."

(Quotes from The Shofar A Cry From The Depths at http://www.ou.org/chagim/roshhashannah/theshofar.html)

No comments: