Friday, January 12, 2007

Where's the good frum music?

So, taste is a personal thing. But I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm reasonably aware of the Orthodox and Chassid music scene. I've never been to one of the shows, but I browse and listen to clips on Mostly Music and Sameach's Jewish Jukebox. I even listen to Sameach's podcast. The musicians are fine. The sentiment I can get behind. Why does all the music have to sound so over-produced, sugar-coated and bland?

For example, there are a couple of tracks on Avraham Fried's new album "Bein Kach Ubein Kach" that are ok, but the big single "Father Don't Cry" kills me. There's a strong feeling, but everything else is completely forgetable. If you haven't heard it, check out the video. Fried's popular and has a large back-catalog of recordings. But he doesn't do a thing for me.

Maybe it's because I grew up with different musical references. Maybe it's because I don't go to the shows (I can think of a number of musicians whose live music is much better than their recordings). Maybe it's really is just bland and overproduced and I'm right. Who knows. But I don't like not enjoying an entire genre of Jewish music. If anyone can point me to albums I'd be interested in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S I listened to the latest Sameach podcast on the drive in this morning and was reminded what fun it is. The two guys who dj it have great on-air chemistry and keep it moving. I enjoy most of the tracks, but have never heard anything I'd like enough to buy a copy of. I buy albums regularly after hearing tracks on Radio Free Klezmer or Something Jewish.

2 comments:

Hines said...

I listened to Radio Free Klezmer and loved it:)

Free Excel

Jack said...

Hines...is this spam or for real? I've been getting a handful of very generic comments that point to a very spammy you-tube mp3 site lately and have been deleting them. This comment though looks like it might be real. Please respond in email or comments to confirm you're a human or I'll delete this one too. If you are a human, please loose the spam URL crap.