Friday, January 12, 2007

Where's the good frum music?

So, taste is a personal thing. But I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm reasonably aware of the Orthodox and Chassid music scene. I've never been to one of the shows, but I browse and listen to clips on Mostly Music and Sameach's Jewish Jukebox. I even listen to Sameach's podcast. The musicians are fine. The sentiment I can get behind. Why does all the music have to sound so over-produced, sugar-coated and bland?

For example, there are a couple of tracks on Avraham Fried's new album "Bein Kach Ubein Kach" that are ok, but the big single "Father Don't Cry" kills me. There's a strong feeling, but everything else is completely forgetable. If you haven't heard it, check out the video. Fried's popular and has a large back-catalog of recordings. But he doesn't do a thing for me.

Maybe it's because I grew up with different musical references. Maybe it's because I don't go to the shows (I can think of a number of musicians whose live music is much better than their recordings). Maybe it's really is just bland and overproduced and I'm right. Who knows. But I don't like not enjoying an entire genre of Jewish music. If anyone can point me to albums I'd be interested in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S I listened to the latest Sameach podcast on the drive in this morning and was reminded what fun it is. The two guys who dj it have great on-air chemistry and keep it moving. I enjoy most of the tracks, but have never heard anything I'd like enough to buy a copy of. I buy albums regularly after hearing tracks on Radio Free Klezmer or Something Jewish.

3 comments:

Hines said...

I listened to Radio Free Klezmer and loved it:)

Free Excel

Jack said...

Hines...is this spam or for real? I've been getting a handful of very generic comments that point to a very spammy you-tube mp3 site lately and have been deleting them. This comment though looks like it might be real. Please respond in email or comments to confirm you're a human or I'll delete this one too. If you are a human, please loose the spam URL crap.

camfrogcuyumbeta said...

Bedava film izle me sitesi. Canlı filmizleyiver de şahane ortam. Online hd film izle de son nokta. Sınırsız müzik dinle ve indir. Bedava mp3 indir .