Sunday, October 7, 2007

Chassidic Klezmer Sukkot Parade

One of the best things about internet video is the opportunity for voyeurism education. I can't tell you how much I've learned about traditional Jewish life by following Orthodox and Chassidic blogs and watching their videos. For someone like myself who leans (in spirit at least) toward the Orthodox side of Conservative, it's pretty illuminating. Take Sukkot for example. I don't do Sukkot well. I know what a sukkah is, but have never had one of my own. I arranged for a lulav and etrog, but accidentally arranged a business trip through most of Sukkot and never picked them up and used them. And this year was the year I was going to do this right. Pretty lame. Hopefully I'll do better next year.

Anyway, watching videos like this one both remind me of the inadequacy of my ritual observance skills and encourages me to try harder next year. Here in my Christian farm town, I'll never see a Sukkot parade like this one. But on the internet, it's right around the corner.


Big Klezmer Jerusalem Sukot Parade with dances



This video was posted to YouTube by Yehuda Schnaps. I haven't had time to track down much about the video other that what Yehuda wrote:

"Big Klezmer band of Avraham Burstein with Hilik Frank in a great unique special klezmer music parade with origional Chasidc dancers(Avraham Kirshnboim and more...) and PHD Yehuda Schansps. Walking and playing from "Yemin Moshe" to the old city ,David tomb at Sukot 2007"

I did find an album by Burstein called "Rikudim Klezmer - Jewish Soul Music with Clarinet" available through the Judaica Web Store.
(by the way, if anyone wants a list of my favorite traditional Jewish blogs just email me or drop me a note in the comments area. I'd be happy to make some recommendations.)

No comments: