Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mommy and Me: Dahlia Topolosky's "Kol Nearim / Voice of Children"

Dahlia Topolosky's Kol Nearim / Voice of childrenWhoosh. There's a big wind coming.

I got a nice email today from Dahlia Topolosky about her new album "Kol Nearim / Voice of Children". I haven't heard the whole album yet, but the song clips on CDBaby are definitely worth checking out. Nice voice. Nice guitar. And Topolosky has a unique approach and context for this album...

Waddle waddle like a penguin clapping your feathers

"Dahlia was greatly inspired by the music and teachings of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, who used his soul music to teach, inspire, and bring all people together. In college and after, Dahlia started to perform for women and have concerts/sing-alongs where she would share jewish mystical teachings and sing many melodies of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, as well as other Jewish soul music. ..

Dahlia also started the first Jewish mommy and me music and movement class, Kol Nearim/Voice of Children, in Riverdale, NY, together with her friend Jenny Sassoon (who plays percussions on the album!). All the lyrics on this album, Kol Nearim/Voice of Children, were originally written by Dahlia for her music class."
Stretch your hands high, your hands high, your hands...

It's a pity my littlest one is asleep already, I'd love to grab her and dance around to the "Waddle Like a Penguin." She used to be sure that she was a giraffe. She'd love doing penguin waddle. Dahlia said that she'd send me a copy of the disc. If she does, I'll do a more thought out review, but until then I'll have to content myself with the track samples.

No comments: