Sunday, October 21, 2007

Yood - Classic Rock from Israel

"Classic rock" usually makes me want to claw my ears off. I'm aware of all the great musicians and culture defining albums that built up the classic rock sound, but even though I grew up in the middle of it, it rarely worked for me. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Clapton, Van Halen, ZZ Top have a preening machoness that I find grating. (Ok, so I dug the 'smart' bands like Blue Oyster Cult, Queen, and RUSH but those were big exceptions).

I'm only bringing this up so that when I say, "I found this Israeli band, Yood, and they make me want to claw my ears off," you'll understand that it says more about me than about them. No complaints about their musicianship. They've got a fat sound, with solid riffs and tight rhythm section. The vocals aren't inspiring but get the job done. And, they make me want to claw my ears off.

So check them out and tell me what you think. You can find out more about them through their webpage or Myspace page. You can also check out their album (available through CDBaby.) Here's how they describe themselves...
YOOD, the smallest letter in the Hebrew alphabet, is the new name for great, big sound. Three guys originally from North America, for the last decade playing backup to the giants on the Israeli scene, take virtuosity to new levels on their debut album, Passin’over, which has the kind of soulful, soaring guitar riffs you feel before you hear. Drawing inspiration from Hendrix, Cream and Dylan, this professionally trained classic rock trio performs original music and lyrics along with classic covers
DEEP PEACE - YOOD

No comments: