Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thoroughly Modern Mille: Julie Andrews sings Mazel Tov

I was going through my to do list and realized I'd never gotten around to posting this little gem. It's Julie Andrews singing in Yiddish in a very odd Jewish wedding scene in the 1967 film "Thoroughly Modern Millie". I haven't seen the film though my understanding is that this is about the only Jewish bit in it. Here's a plot summary from the Internet Movie Database:
"Millie Dillmount, a fearless young lady fresh from Salina, Kansas, determined to experience Life, sets out to see the world in the rip-roaring Twenties. With high spirits and wearing one of those new high hemlines, she arrives in New York to test the "modern" ideas she had been reading about back in Kansas: "I've taken the girl out of Kansas. Now I have to take Kansas out of the girl!"
Somehow that involves Jewish weddings. Go figure.

JULIE ANDREWS IN YIDDISH


Hat tip to YouTube user Shalommaniaforall for posting the video and to Susanne Schwimmer for posting it to the Jewish Music mailing list back in July. Thanks.

4 comments:

Keith/Dad Melissa/Mom said...

I came across your post while looking for a translation of Millie Dilmount's Mazel Tov lyrics. She seems happy and open minded. Wish you came across that way too. Snotty sarcasm just sounds petty and small minded.

Jack said...

At least I poop on my own doormat.

For the record, the Jewish wedding scene in Thoroughly Modern Millie is well known for being a bit of a non-sequitor added because the authors of the film were Jewish and were having a bit of fun. As was I.

And by the way, your rude and necessary comment aside, If you're looking for lyrics to any Jewish song please know. I'd be happy to round them up for you. You can find official sheet music for the show here, though it doesn't appear Mazel Tov lyrics are included. A quick internet search didn't turn up any obvious sources of that lyric, though I'll keep looking. If nothing turns up, and it's important enough to you (e.g. you're willing to pony up a little $$), I know a number of musicians who are fluent in Yiddish who I'm sure could transcribe the lyrics (and even score an arrangement for you if you're doing a show). Some of them might even do it for free, but it's nice to offer something for their time.

Jack said...

sigh, that should have read "rude and unnecessary comment."

Anonymous said...

http://www.julieandrewsonline.com/music/lyrics/modernmillie_lyrics.html